Thursday, January 26, 2012

Sunset Egrets

Art by Delilah

Sunset Egrets

Here is how I did this oil painting:


I started with a tinted panel in a pink because I wanted the undertones to be warm. I often use my leftover paint at the end of the day to undetone canvas. I hate to waste anything and it also gives me a good supply of dry toned canvas to use.



I do a quick sketch of where I want the egrets to be and place the horizon line high in the painting because it is about the birds and the water.


I put in the base color of the sky and water in a lemon yellow.


I add some blue to the foreground water which as I paint toward the Egrets become a wonderful shade of green as it mixes on the canvas with the lemon yellow.

At this point I step back and evaluate the strucker of the painting. It seems off balance to me so I take Q-tip and wipe out a spot in the water to add a fourth Egret.

I  start putting more detil into the birds and darken the horizon line.


I begin adding the reflection of the birds in the water.

With a small rigger brush I add details. I build up the color of the water with a 1/2 in flat brush now.

I work a little more on it adding darker colors to the foreground.
Sunset Egrets
Sunset Egrets, painting by Delilah Smith
About This Painting: This painting can be bought at Daily Paint Works auction, the bidding starts at $50.00. Click on the link below to bid.
Sunset Egrets
5x7 oil paintng on canvas mounted on a museum quality panel
Media: oil painting
Size: 7 in X 5 in (17.8 cm X 12.7 cm)
Price: $50 USD
How to Purchase:





"post your opinion in the comments" Or, send me an email
Thank You:

Join Our Email List
Email:  
For Email Marketing you can trust
All images are © 2004-2011 Delilah Smith, Art by Delilah

No comments: