Saturday, February 25, 2012

Roses Are Red

Roses Are Red
Art by Delilah

I got a dozen red roses for Valentine days. The smell was wonderful. I have been working on a large painting but I have done several small studies first. Here is one of the small ones.


I started with a small sketch just to block in where I might want to place the roses.

I decided I wanted to add at least one of the rose buds also.


I add dark shadows with a blue,

I add some purple and begin to build the petals with Cad Red.


I keep building the petals on the roses.

I add more petals leaving some ot the shadow area I started with,


I mix a green using Phthalo blue,and lemon yellow. I then paint in the foreground.

I mix a light green adding more lemon yellow and white to the mixture of green I already have. I them paint the the leaves around the roses. Next I finish the back ground using white a touch of purple in it. The painting has lots of texture.

The finished painitng
7x5
oil painting

This painting is available at Daily Paintworks.


"post your opinion in the comments" Or, send me an email
Thank You:

Join Our Email List
Email:  
For Email Marketing you can trust
All images are © 2004-2012 Delilah Smith, Art by Delilah

No comments: